Upper School: Year 9 – Year 11
The Upper School Vision
Upper School is a place where everyone has the opportunity to become the best they can be. Ambition will be at the heart of all that we do. Supported by the core values and the knowledge and skills gained in Lower and Middle School, the whole school community will work together to enable every student to experience success, develop their independence and ensure that they are fully equipped for the next stage of their life and learning journey.
Head of Upper School
Deputy Head of Upper School
Year 9 Options Prospectus 2022
Upper School Pupils’ Extra-Curricular Activities
We have some extraordinary talent in the Upper School and this is not just reserved for the classroom! Have a look at how amazingly talented are young people are. If we have missed anyone or if you would like your child’s extra-curricular achievements recognised, please let us know we would be delighted to share their accomplishments.
- Kylan Aylward is a member of Rhondda Budokan Judo Club. He is current Welsh Closed Champion Under 46Kg 2018 and an active member of Welsh Judo Pre Cadet Squad 2018. Kylan is 10th Mon Green Belt. Kylan also plays rugby for Gilfach Goch Under 14s.
- Hywel Bees-Jones plays Rugby and football at local club level.
- Sean Bunston plays Rugby and is on his first grading at taikwando. He has started learning to play the Drums.
- Isobel Bunyan plays Basketball for the Welsh squad and Netball at club level.
- Tyler Clement enjoys photography and has a good eye for nature photography.
- Faye Davies plays Rugby and is a member of the Rsd Dance school. She is learning to play the organ.
- Louie Evans is the Welsh No 1 U15 in Table Tennis.
- Rhys Evans is on the Wales national Judo Team-Pre Cadet level. He holds a grey belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitzu.
- Macaulay Griffiths plays Rugby for Porth RFC. Macaulay works on weekends and through school holidays.
- Sam Griffiths plays football for Gilfach Goch Unders 14’s and is a member of Maerdy boxing club.
- Teigan Griffiths is a member of Avant Drama and RSD dance.
- Taylor Hargraves plays football for Gilfach Goch under 14’s.
- Rhiannon Marchant Swims at National level. She also enjoys the Saturday morning Park run.
- Courtney McCann Enjoys playing the piano and loves to sing.
- Evan Parsons plays Rugby and football at club levels.
- Carys Pedersen is the Archery British champion. She also plays the guitar.
- Ethan Pitman is a member of the Boxing Club and enjoys Computing.
- Ellie Reed enjoys Horse Riding. She used to be a member of the Savoy Players and enjoys creative writing.
- Kacey Rees plays netball.
- Iestyn Stone plays Football for Tonyrefail and Cambrian.
- Megan Thatcher is learning the Ukulele and is very interested in Theatrical Make Up.
- Megan Tuck is an Aikido brown belt and trains the younger members. She plays the Drums and ukulele. Megan is a keen artist and is a youth volunteer for the Church children’s work.
- Holly Urwin Cheerleading and dance RSD selected to represent Team Wales at world championships in Florida April 2019.
- Lucas Vaughan plays football for Bristol Rovers Academy under 14’s. He attended Fame Factory Theatre School until he was 13 and has performed in Her Majesty’s Theatre in London’s West End. Lucas is an all-rounder, good at sport and academically.
- Ellis Williams plays Football.
- Faith Williams is a member of the Savoy Players and has started learning the piano. Faith loves to sing and has performed in many shows. She does singing gigs with her grandmother to gain experience.
- Kavan Williams plays for Llantrisant rugby club and Tonyrefail football club.
- Blake Wride plays the Guitar. He is a budding Entrepreneur, regularly helping with family’s business spreadsheets and contributing innovative ideas.
- Cameron Free Plays Rugby at School and for local club Treorchy u16s. Cameron also enjoys Canoe Polo, playing competitively for both Rhondda Paddlers and Bridgend Canoe Club, travelling to both Coventry and Cheltenham where he competes in national leagues. Cameron has also been attending Canoe Wales Youth Development sessions and has been selected for the Wales u18s Youth Canoe Polo Development Team who will be competing in the Spas de Calais International Canoe Polo Tournament in France. Cameron has been invited to attend GB Youth Canoe Polo Development sessions that take place in Liverpool for full weekend each month throughout the year. Cameron also likes to participate and dabble in other sports on an occasional basis such as basketball, football and archery but does not currently play for any teams /clubs in these sports.
- Iestyn Howells plays Football.
- Finlay James plays for a Football Academy.
- Ashton Newton plays Ten Pin Bowling for the Wales Junior Team and the Southern Welsh Counties Adults Team. Ashton travels all over Wales for both Adult and junior events.
- Luke Owen plays football for RCT Schools, Cambrian and Clydach Academy and Cambrian and Clydach BGC.
- Tristan Perry plays Rugby.
- Macauley Roberts plays Rugby for GGRFC under 15’s.
- Kelsey Rogers is a member of a darts team.
- Kieran Rule plays the Guitar and is currently working towards his Grade 4. He enjoys Computer and product design.
- Ruby Taylor is a member of the Rhondda swimming club, Tonyrefail Ladies netball team and a trampoline/gymnastics club.
- Katriana Taylor is very good at sewing and for the last five years has attended a class outside school.
- Caitlin Thomas is a very caring person who helped to care for her terminally ill auntie last year.
- Year 11
- Penny Evans swims for Cardiff swimming club. Her squad is elite youth and she has won National Titles for swimming. Penny achieved a qualifying time for the British Champs last year, which took place in Edinburgh and Sheffield. The training schedule is tough, with training before and after school, but she has learnt some great life skills! Penny also enjoys Maths.
- Kacey-Leigh Green participates in championship & open dog shows competing against adults every weekend. This takes her all over the UK and she has gained two x CC’s (three to make a dog up to a champion). In March 2019 she competed at Crufts and volunteering with the discovery dogs.
- Cerys Hudd is a member of Stagecoach Bridgend.
- Shaye-Marie Jones has taught herself to play the Ukulele! She is also a member of the Savoy Players. She enjoys English literature.
- Rhys Morgan has an avid interest in Politics and is a volunteer at the local community Foodbank. He is a member of the Savoy theatre group and attends the local Fire Cadets programme.
- Jak Phillips has a black belt in Korean karate and plays darts for Glamorgan’s Youth Team and premiere league team.
- Tia-Louise Prosser volunteers for Capel Farm community centre and is on the committee. Tia was invited to visit the mayor in his parlour in recognition of her work.